Author: Molly Miller (Left)
Location: Houston, TX
A little bit: Owner of white lab puppy blue moonbeam, Molly's primary job is running the blog and keeping up with her collection of white shirts. She tends to be the more tomboy + edgy sister and she's crazy about pizza and ripped jeans.
Toast: Butter + Strawberry jelly, or avocado + red pepper
Author: Sally Miller Walker (Right)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Sally's passion and career is as an early childhood education teacher. she has a weakness for gluten-free sweets and shopping on line and plays more with pinks, pattern, and color than Molly. Currently listening to: vampire weekend.
Toast: Butter + Cinnamon + Sugar, or peanut butter
Oooooh Sally and I just love award season! And of course, the grand finale - The Academy Awards - is this Sunday. Which means we have a special sister shindig watching planned. Everything just seems better when we watch together...we think it has to do with our complimentary yet different personalities and opinions. From favorite dresses on the red carpet to favorite presenters and which nominees we have picked to win - it's our ying and yang commentary that makes taking in the Oscars (and all the other award shows from earlier in the season) so fun.
To celebrate the big night we'll be donning cozy sweatpants (duh), gathering our pups (naturally), and indulging in delicious treats (necessary). This year our snacking spread is focused on sweet and savory. After some voting (it is award season, after all!) we determined that Toffifay would be the ideal something sweet to go along side truffle popcorn. A little test drive of the pairing while filling out our personal Oscar ballots (we downloaded ours from here) proved that it's a match made in heaven!
If you’ve never had Toffifay, let us tell you that it’s seriously one incredible candy…we’re girls who love chocolate but prefer it to pack a punch of flavor and Toffifay fits our criteria in spades. Nestled into golden trays are little caramel cups filled with a whole hazelnut and topped with chocolate. Chewy, crunchy and smooth…the combo is addictive and irresistible.
Toffifay is delectable on its own but eating it along side popcorn – especially popcorn topped with buttery truffle oil and parmesan cheese – just makes it even more yum. Here’s how we made our truffle popcorn:
1/2 cup corn kernels popped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons black truffle oil
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Directions: Melt butter (best done on the stove over low heat) and combine truffle oil. Pop kernels (we use this air popper!). Pour butter and truffle oil mixture over popcorn and toss. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and toss again.
Trust us when we say that this is one winning snacking pair! We highly suggest getting in on the Toffifay action while you get cozy for your own Oscar viewing!
This dress by Derek Lam 10 Crosby looks like a deconstructed mens button-up shirt and we love it. The contrasting and complimentary stripes, long sleeves that chinch the waist, and sweetheart neckline…it has the look of being unstructured but all connected so nothing calls out of place. All good things.
Get ready for an explosion of texture…the Spring/Summer ’17 collection from Loeffler Randall has made its debut and it’s full of incredible pieces loaded with texture, brilliant details, and lovely color combos. We can’t pick favorites (yet) but the sweet Mini Dome Pouch is such a fab under $100 accessory!
We got lucky with the most glorious weather here the past two days. I think yesterday it was almost 90 and the day before definitely in the 80's. I took advantage and wore a Mi Golondrinadress for the first time in months and exposed my pale legs to the masses. I've also been doing "two-a-days" with our dogs and taking them on long walks twice a day. Hoping to continue this as long as I can until baby comes! This weekend we have some serious catching up to do on the Oscar nominee movies. Any favorites that we can't miss? (read on to get the sales + steals)
Ann Taylor: Limited time only – 40% off all sweaters with code SWEATERS. (This lantern sleeve sweater in white is perfect for spring weather with a pair of jeans and flats.)
ASOS: Outlet – up to 60% off Spring steals! (Loving this color for some brightness on a rainy day. Also, doesn’t this look kind of Gucci-esque?)
Bloomingdales: Get a $20 bMoney gift card every time you spend $100 through 2/26! (My favorite section to shop? The “tops under $100“, because who wants to spend more than $100 on a single top?! This is SO pretty and the price is great. Also love this one. Both are perfect for spring with dark or white denim.)
domino: Wall decor sale – 20% off! (I’ve always really liked the look of these.)
H&M: Free shipping on orders over $40 with code 0040. (This would be pretty cute over jeans now and as a dress when it warms up!)
J.Crew: Online only – up to $50 off and free shipping on denim through TODAY! (How cool are these?)
J.Crew Factory: Online only: 40-50% off everything! (This has good reviews and is such a classic piece.)
LOFT: 30% off blouses, jackets, pants, and skirts. (Never underestimate the power of a good black blouse.)
Nordstrom: Winter sale! Save up to 40% off now through 2/26. (Considering ordering this to see if it works with the bump. Could have potential! Have a black tie/dressier wedding? The color combo of this dress is amazing and it looks flattering.)
Both of us own the Taschen Acrylic Bookstand and love having it as a way to swap out titles and display the pages of our beloved coffee table books. The only problem? We can’t stop scooping up new books that we think would be worthy of sitting propped open! Tim Walker’s famed fashion images are just the type of beauty we love putting on display (if only to bring a little glam to our daily lives) and “Tim Walker Pictures” is on our wish list!
Under $100 Dress
We have to give credit where it’s due: we first spotted this dress on Meg Biram via her Instagrams (here and here). A scalloped mandarin collar? Cut out shoulders? And a drawstring waist? Tell us more! The organic cotton dress by & Other Stories manages to combine several elements while still looking chic and simple. Love the crisp white and black drawstrings! Maybe it would work with a baby bump and we can share?
I've heard that one of the best ways to shop a grocery store is by focusing on the perimeter versus the aisles. Why? Because along the edge is where you find the produce, meats, dairy, deli...the less processed stuff. The aisles hold temptation like cereal (a former main food group of mine), frozen food, and all things already packaged, preserved, and or boxed and bagged. There's nothing wrong with hitting up the middle section - and believe me I have some frozen pizzas, pasta, peanut butter, and taco chips to prove it - but I do try to keep the perimeter technique in mind when I'm getting my groceries. Aside from it being more "healthy," it's also made me more curious about certain foods and ingredients and led to some great discoveries.
Kale happens to be something I love ordering at a restaurant but have never bought myself. I was thinking this the other day when I was making my grocery list and craving a salad different from the arugula and tomato variety I had been eating for weeks. One of my fave cheeses - La Vaquita Queso Fresco - was already on my list so I did a little Googling for "kale + queso fresco" and found a yummy recipe to inspire me. Bonus, the easy salad included another ingredient I never ever buy but like: radishes. I took some liberties with the original recipe - deciding against using pipitas and swapping in this dressing (from one of my favorite spots in Dallas) then I hit the store.
Grocery shopping was once something I loathed but now really enjoy. I think it’s because I’ve made myself familiar with where to find things I need and am not afraid to ask questions when I need help. Case in point: years ago when I made my first recipe requiring Queso Fresco I was looking for the cheese it in the area by the meats/deli area. Nada. I finally asked where I could find the crumbly cheese and was directed to the dairy section – near where you find all the milk, yogurt, etc. Alas! Queso Fresco. There were a few brand options to choose from but I went with La Vaquita because I saw that it was made locally in Texas. I might not be a Texas native but that doesn’t keep me from buying locally-made goodness. After using La Vaquita Queso Fresco that first time (I think it was for brisket tacos) I was hooked on the super fresh, creamy cheese and have been buying the queso and creamas since. They’re great for Mexican style dishes but I’ve used them in non-Mexican recipes, too.
Lucky for me, La Vaquita is sold at all my go-to grocery stores (Tom Thumb, Central Market and Kroger). And I just have to stroll the perimeter of the store to land on it. Ok…now it’s time for the Kale Salad recipe that is the purpose of this post!
Fresh and Light Kale Salad: As we all probably know by this point, kale is a super veggie. It’s one of the most nutrient-dense commonly eaten vegetables and contains high amounts of vitamin K, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Eating it raw (like in a salad) is the best way to keep all the vitamins intact. It doesn’t have an overly strong taste (maybe just a little peppery) so it’s easy to dress up and pair with other ingredients. As I mentioned above, my inspiration for mixing the kale with radishes, avocado and Queso Fresco came from this recipe. But I wasn’t super keen on using lime in the dressing as suggested and decided to use this dressing recipe for one of my favorite kale salads in Dallas. Though the lime may have made for more of a “Mexican” flavor, I found that the lemon and garlic went perfectly with the other fixings and the whole combination was super delicious!
1 bunch kale
4 medium radishes
1/2 cup La Vaquita Queso Fresco
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
juice of 1 lemon
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, mashed
salt and pepper to taste
Slice kale into thin ribbons
Thinly slice radishes
Crumble La Vaquita Queso Fresco
Combine dressing ingredients in a salad dressing mixer or whisk in a bowl
Layer kale, radishes, avocado and Queso Fresco in a large bowl, top with dressing and gently toss.
Add additional crumbled Queso Fresco if desired and/or serve with with some on the side to be added after plated.
Sally – being the lucky sister that she is – got to enjoy this yum salad with me after we photographed it and she was just as into it as I was. We’re definitely going to make it again (and again, and again). It’s super filling on its own and we decided it would be great with some grilled chicken, too. Of course, we added extra spoonfuls of Queso Fresco on top of our servings because the cheese is always our favorite part!
When it comes to eyelet, it seems that more is more. and no one nails eyelet (and the more factor) like Sea. The brand can make even the most basic of dresses (cough, us) crave feminine details and rows of ruffles. This season, their Exploded Eyelet Ruffle Top is just one of many favorites. Both of us are loving all things light blue – probably because we have a baby boy on the brain – and this top is just too sweet.
Dragon Diffusion Tote
If you aren’t familiar with the gorgeous woven leather creation by Dragon Diffusion designer Craig Wright, allow us to introduce you. Is there anything better than 1) a tote that can stand up and not slouch/collapse, and 2) something intricately handmade? Nope. We love the single-hued Dragon Diffusion bags (here and here) but the two-tone small totes on J.Crew are especially pretty. The beige and white is neutral perfection.
Well this week has been flying by. Monday holidays tend to do that. I'm not complaining...especially because I'm eagerly anticipating the weekend and my visit to Chicago! One of my besties is having a baby shower for the twins she's expecting this summer and I can't wait to pet her bump and see all my other friends. This week my vibes are all about newness...all the Spring/Summer 2017 collections have been launching and I couldn't help including two favorites (Mansur Gavriel and Loeffler Randall) along with one great collaboration collection (Rosie Huntington-Whiteley x Paige Adams-Geller) and a fab brand re-fresh (Renée Rouleau)! (keep reading and enjoy)
1. ADMIRING // MANSUR SS17: We all know Mansur Gavriel for their simplistic bucket bags and totes (I happen to have two of the tote bags and can attest to their greatness and versatility). But as lovely as those styles – and the subsequent designs that have been added over seasons – I have to say that the new Spring/Summer 2017 collection of handbags is the stuff of MG dreams. Like all Mansur designs, the new pieces are clean, minimalistic, and un-fussy. But the addition of circular goldstone hardware and new shapes are the most noticeable departure from the thin drawstrings and ties that have been the brand’s embellishment calling card. I’m having major feelings for the Metropolitan and Posternak bags…so sad that the cammello leather is already sold out in both!
2. WANTING // RHW x PAG: Sally and I have a mutual girl-crush on Rosie Huntington-Whiteley…kind of hard not to. No surprise, we have a crush on Rosie’s collaboration with Paige denim. The collection isn’t huge – a couple dresses, pants, tops, skirts, shorts, jumpsuits and a jacket – but it is co-dsigned by Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Paige Adams-Geller. I’m really liking the super light wash denim pieces with fringed edges (this dress and top are amazing) and the tie-dye goods. The silk Flo Bomber jacket embroidered with “Forever & Ever” on the back is definitely my favorite. It’s so borderline cheesy that it’s cool, amIright?
3. MIXING // GOLD-TONE BOWLS: Ohmigawd I just adore elevated basics. Especially for the kitchen. There’s nothing like a cute set of measuring spoons or whimsical cooking tools to make daily kitchen activity a little more fun. When I saw this 6-piece gold mixing bowl set on CB2 I was 1) shocked that they had such a functional offering, and 2) super into the look and price. $50 for three stainless steal bowls that have a luxe gold finish on the outside and matching lids that have a silicone gasket for keeping stuff fresh? That’s kind of a deal. Not many mixing bowls can go from prep to the table but I’d happily mix a salad in one of these and use for serving.
4. USING // BOY BROW: My eyebrows have not always been “on fleek.” It wasn’t till a co-worker told me that I desperately needed to start filling my very light and naturally sparse brows in about five years ago that I even took notice of them. Since that fateful day I have been very aware of my brows…and humbly admit that they are never going to be the bushy, full caterpillars that Sandy Cohen Cara Delevingne has. And I’m cool with that! At least I can use products to help give them a little definition and oomph. I first used a pencil, then determined it took a lot of time and focus to get a natural look – so I switched to a brow brush and powder. Of course I took notice when Glossier released their Boy Brow product back in October 2015. The buzz and fanatical feedback across the beauty industry was impossible to ignore…but I figured that it was just hype and not a product for me. For some reason (probably all the Into The Gloss reading I do) I decided to order the Boy Brow in “blond” for myself a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been trying to simplify my beauty routine more and more and wanted to see if the one step “fluffer, filler, and shaper” would give me the natural look and easy application I was wanting. I don’t know why I was surprised that I absolutely loved it. It really is that good. The product distribution gives the ideal amount of tint and flexible hold and though it took me a little bit of practice (after being so used to a powder), it’s pretty foolproof to use. And I find that it looks much more natural than anything else I’ve tried! Which is the whole point of beauty…at least in my book. Believe the hype and bow down to the #1 best seller!
5. CRUSHING // RACHEL COMEY TIE TOP: Anddddd my white shirt obsession can’t stop/won’t stop. Rachel Comey is one of my favorite designers because her aesthetic plays into my basic sensibility (re: mostly solids and lots of white and black) but she mixes feminine and edgy, and I love the unique yet timeless silhouettes she designs. Anyway, I’ve seen her Meryl Tie Front Blouse on so many sites that I’m convinced that it’s following me…and that it’s a sign I need to splurge and buy it. I love a white blouse but this one decidedly different than anything in my closet with the black skinny front ties (no buttons!) and slits on the sleeves. Gimme.
6. OBSESSING // LOEFFLER RANDAL SS17 INSPO: In my humble opinion, Loeffler Randal can do no wrong and my love for the brand runs so deep, I’m basically an unofficial stalker/ambassador. Seeing each new season is like Christmas morning and I get googly eyes every time I take in the seasonal mood boards and read Jessie’s notes via the LR Stories blog. Of course, the Spring/Summer ’17 behind-the-scenes inspiration did not disappoint. An “explosion of texture” with “new neutrals” and “conversational pieces” – each shoe and bag in the collection totally slays. Don’t even try to make me pick a favorite…becuase I just can’t and would probably need to visit the LR Showroom in NY to properly do so. But I will say that I find the raffia Cruise Tote and Zip Pouchette to be both be particularly phenomenal.
7. LOVING // RENÉE ROULEAU REFRESH: I’m a girl with many lady “spirit animals.” These women are more than girl-crushes…they are real-life acquaintances and friends that I admire and strive to be like. Sometimes I even want to wear their skin. This is the case with my skin spirit animal, Renée Rouleau. Renée’s 25 years of skin care experience as a celebrity esthetician and trusted skin care expert makes her a guru when it comes to treating and advising on all things skin. Her name-sake skin care line is based on a “one size does not fit all” philosophy and includes products to treat nine skin types. Recently, Renée did a beautiful re-branding and released new products (14 to be exact)! The new site, packaging, and branding is beautiful – which I fully expected considering how thoughtful Renée is with all she does – and the new products are equally wonderful. I’ve been using the Moisture Infusion Toner and Redness Care Firming Serum and both are so nice! Make sure you visit the site and take in the newness…