It's a rainy, grey, cold Sunday here in Dallas and this v-neck sweater happens to be what I'm wearing. To say that this guy is cozy is an understatement. I think it's the combination of the oversized fit, big ballon sleeves and deep v-neck that makes it exceptionally comfortable but still feminine. Sally has a grey sweater in an open-back style that's also by Cuyana (she wore it in this post) and we both love how the merino wool and cashmere blend is soft and thick (no itch) and that the technique Cuyana uses keeps the fibers from pilling. You know how some heavy knits can get fuzz balls on the sleeves and near the hem from the fabric rubbing? Cuyana's ribbed pieces don't do this. Which just makes them all the more wearable and awesome.
Fun fact: we justify buying cute sweatshirts for ourselves by calling them “sister sweatshirts.” This has been going on for years and we have at least half a dozen matching cozy cotton pullovers. This “Amour” Sweatshirt from J.Crew is our latest matching purchase. Classic typography embroidered on a classic silhouette makes for a win!
$16 Statement Earrings
The bold geometric style of these Metal Statement Earrings screams “Designer! Expensive!” Which is why we were so shocked and excited to see that they’re only $15.99. You must click over to Mango’s site to see them on the model – their larger in scale which only adds to the statement-making appeal. Get a pair for you…and your bestie.
Apparently today is "Free Shipping Friday"? Who knew? I think a new day is created each year to give shoppers an excuse to shop. And also, don't most sites generally already offer free shipping? I mean, it is 2017 after all. I have nearly crossed everyone off my list, minus needing some stocking stuffers for my husbands stocking. I am majorly failing on that this year and the clock is seriously ticking. Too bad I am far too scared to visit the mall this close to Christmas. It gets pretty crazy out there. (read on for this weeks sales and don't forget #freeshippingfriday)
This + That:
- A. FAVORITE READ // “What Is Jade Rolling, and Should You Be Doing It?” via The Everygirl (You know you’ve been wondering…”
- B. FAVORITE INSTAGRAM // @goop (They know how to nail a pretty pink pop-up situation)
- C. FAVORITE PIN // this via Tim Labenda
- D. FAVORITE OUTFIT // Bartabac by Silvia
- Ann Taylor: Free shipping + 50% off almost everything! (This could be cool for New Years Eve? Love this in the black.)
- Anthropologie: Extra 40% off select styles. (I’ll take this in every color! Perfect for this time of year and such an easy piece to throw on.)
- Banana Republic: 40% off your purchase of $200+ with code BRWINTER. (So pretty – really liking that its a pale grey. How cute is this?)
- Bluemercury: 12 days of beauty! Free full sized item each day!
- BURU: 12 days of mom style sales! Every day = a new sale!
- CB2: Up to 30% off select gifts! (Is this not the most perfect white elephant gift? Kind of amazing. These are so cute for a stocking. This too.)
- Chicwish: Enjoy an extra 10% off orders over $70 with code PRS10. (How precious is this for little girls?)
- Gap: Up to 50% off everything + extra 20% off your purchase with code GIFTNOW. (I just reserved this in white at a local store because I cannot.resist.cozy.things. Send help! Also, this in the black. See? Its a problem!)
- H&M: Sale – up to 60% off! New styles added! (Ugly Christmas sweater party on the books? Not sure I’ve seen anything worse than this one. Ha!)
- J.Crew: 40% off full priced styles and free shipping with code TIME2GIVE. (Does this mean time2give to yourself? Because I’m ordering three of these for myself in black, camel, and grey to fill a little bit of a sweater void I have in my closet. I only wish they had an off white version this year, too! These are awesome! I love that this is festive and fun while still remaining classic and simple.)
- J.Crew Factory: 60% off everything with no exclusions! Use code DASHING. (Need this to come back in a small in the ivory – such an incredible price and great basic. This is such a good sweater dress.)
- kate spade new york: Extra 30% off all sale styles with code EXTRATREAT! (Some of mine and Molly’s faves are on sale…this top, this red dress, this cherry dress, and this great black jacket!)
- LOFT: The merriest of sales – 50% off everything! (Obsessed with these. Also this is SO cute.)
- Madewell: No time like the present – 25% off your purchase! (Madewell rarely does sales, so when they do I always feel like I have to take advantage. There is nothing more classic than a cream cable knit sweater – this one is perfect. This is a great piece.)
- Old Navy: Entire store on sale! Up to 60% off. (Ya’ll know how much I love my sweatshirts. I would wear just about every single one of these. Such good prices too! I’m kind of over plaid flannel shirts, but how good is the striped version of this?)
- West Elm: Up to 40% off in stock items + free shipping with code MERRY! (Ohmygosh how cute/cool are these? SUCH a fun gift. We love our Sonos speakers and these are a great price. This is perfect for the chef in your life. Or the husband that is obsessed with his kitchen knives like mine is.)
Structured simplistic casual elegance…the words that came to mind when we locked eyes with The Cuoio Vachetta Petite Maude. Designer Clare Vivier has created countless timeless bags (we’re big fans of the flat clutch) but this newer style brings new elements – a structured top frame, cut out handles and gusseted sides can also be pushed in – that we’re loving. P.S. “Cuoio Vachetta” is a minimally-treated vegetable tanned cowhide. Prettiest hue.
Fluffy Nicky Sandal
Ugh. Every season Loeffler Randall does their thing and makes shoes and handbags that are nearly impossible for us to resist. This fall we have a big time crush on the Nicky Sandals. Nicky is a cool girl and she
kind of definitely has it all…a chunky heel (that’s not too high), ankle tie straps and a fox fur poof across each toe strap. Available in dusty rose, eclipse (navy) and sliver metallic + multi-colored fur, this furry number is a little cheeky but super wearable.
Moody blues versus red and green going into the holiday season? I'll take it. Sally already mentioned it in this post from the other week, but I also love that kate spade's holiday collection is more about blues and metallics than the usual bold brights they go for this time of year. The more subdued colors are still incredibly festive - and perfect for holiday - thanks to ksny putting their usual special touches on everything. Who knew that a navy velvet dress with dusty blue roses was exactly what I wanted and needed for this party season?!
With velvet being such a big trend I’m slightly surprised to admit that the Night Rose Velvet Dress is the first and only velvet piece I’ve added to my closet as of late. I’m not sure if it was the soft fabric done up in navy or the pretty rose print that first got my attention but the a-line fit is what sold me. The fitted bodice is instantly flattering and the gathered skirt gives some nice volume. My favorite detail is the small sheer ruffle that trims the neckline and arm openings.
The yo-yo weather that Dallas has been having means that one day calls for tights and a long coat while the next is warm enough for just booties and a cape. So on the day I happened to be shooting the dress is was mild enough that my Garnet Booties could be worn with a bare leg. Not complaining…I’m such a wimp with the cold!
And for anyone curious: yes, the Knollwood Buckle Bag is even more adorable and amazing in person.
Olio E Osso
Jean Godfrey-June of goop is one of our beauty spirit animals. We read so much of what she writes that it feels like we know her. But the word of Jean is hardly ever wrong. Case and point: when asked for a no-makeup must-have she named Olio E Osso Balm– specifically the No. 2 hue – for giving a natural flush that’s perfectly pretty. We use the balm (No. 3) and it’s a game changer for those of us who don’t regularly wear full makeup but want to look good!
Ohh look what we have here…a white shirt. Shocking right? We fully admit that we have an addiction when it comes to white tops (including tees, blouses, sweaters, etc.) but we try to scoop up a selection of basics and more special pieces. And this Emilia Top by Tory Burch is a perfect combination of basic + special. The mock-turtleneck body is a cozy knit and the sleeves are cotton poplin with slits down the side and fabric bow ties. Pretty. Perfect.
Its hard to believe that we are now less than two weeks away from Christmas. I am feeling somewhat on top of my shopping, but really only because Molly and I are splitting a lot of our gifts and she did all of the ordering. Thank goodness for Venmo. I finally picked up some wrapping paper last night and am hoping to do some wrapping tonight. The real wrapping happens when we get to Kansas City and into Santa's Workshop (aka our mom's basement) and help her with her wrapping. Seven kids, two of them being married, and one grand baby makes for a whole lottt of wrapping. But it's always fun and a group activity including Christmas music and cookies (my fave part, duh). Things will be a little bit different this year with a crawling 7 month old to chase after, but I'm lucky to have "babysitters" in the form of sisters jumping at the opportunity to watch him. (read on for more of this week's vibes!)
1. ROLLING // AWAY CARRYON: I’ll start out by saying that I promise this post isn’t dedicated to all things travel, but having just returned from Hawaii and flying out to Kansas City next Friday, it is kind of on the brain. Every time I fly with one of my giant L.L. Bean tote bags as a carry on, I swear that I will never, ever do it again. The tote is SO big (which is the one thing I love about them) that I can fill it with SO much stuff that I end up practically breaking my back while lugging it through airports. That plus a baby in the Ergo Baby and I was on overload. So, never again will I bring that God forsaken tote in the airport with us! When I fly solo with the babe next week I am only bringing my handbag-sized tote. I’m planning on checking all of our other luggage, but for our next trip in March, I would love to invest in an Away carry on. There are nothing but positive reviews on the popular hard-shell luggage and the prices are unbeatable. The two carry on sizes even have built in batteries, because there’s nothing worse than a low phone battery while traveling. The large is also looking pretty promising to purchase before our trip because my husband had to borrow Molly’s Rimowa when we flew to Hawaii! Its amazing how much stuff you end up packing with a baby in tow.
2. COZYING // CASHMERE WRAP: I have long lusted after one of White and Warren’s Cashmere Travel Wraps after seeing my friend Michaela with one a few years ago. Its amazing how something as simple as a scarf can instantly transform you into looking “put together” and dare I say even ‘chic’ while traveling. Maybe this would help my case with the next plane blowout or pee leakage while traveling? Whatever it takes! In all seriousness though, the price tag to the Travel Wrap seems pretty steep, but I know its one of those things that I would splurge on and never regret purchasing. One of those “you only cry once” situations. I don’t do a ton of traveling these days, but even so, this baby would be perfect to throw on over my usual casual attire when I want to look like I’m trying harder than I actually am. I’m always partial to grey this time of year as it goes with just about everything, but the pearl white is so pretty too.
3. RECOVERING // TAMMY FENDER CREME: This time of year my skin is insanely dry. Like cannot get enough moisture to save its soul, dry. I am alll about lathering on the face creams at night and have died and gone to heaven with Tammy Fender’s moisturizers. It is kind of indescribable what her products do for my skin. I experience visible results in the form of smooth, glowing skin after just one application. I have yet to meet a better moisturizer than her Spontaneous Recovery Creme and Intensive Repair Balm. I *try* to savor them and rotate with other products so that they last longer, but nothing compares and I miss that glow that I get upon waking up each morning after using Tammy Fender. I also love the Essential C Tonic (because I can’t get enough Vitamin C for my skin) and the Epi Peel and am dying to try the Quintessential Serum.
4. OBSESSING // SOLD OUT SWEATSHIRTS: Remember that sister sweatshirt obsession that we’ve mentioned on here countless times? Well the sweatshirt love strikes again with Sold Out’s graphic cozies. Sold Out is all about creating “must haves” which has clearly struck a chord with me as I have now added their sweatshirts to my “must have” list. Everything they create is limited edition, meaning that once its gone, its gone. Making the pieces that much more of a must have or its going to sell out and be gone forever situation. Gets me every time. When a product sells out, the brand releases the next product which is a surprise and could be any number of things. A sweatshirt, a tee, or even an accessory. A “life changing” accessory at that. At first I was leaning towards their “Together” sweatshirt as I can’t resist the pick stitch and the pale pink and red combo, but I’m also realllyy the Je Nais Sais Quoi (translation: “I don’t know what”) white on white sweatshirt that is a cozier version of my white tee uniform. Molly and I may have just found our next sister sweatshirts. We generally don’t give each other gifts for Christmas, but maybe thats how we can justify buying these just days out from Christmas?!
5. CAPPING // DOGS ON HATS: I’m a big fan of a good baseball hat. Especially with my newly minted Melasma and my fear of any amount of sun exposure on my face. Not a day went by while in Hawaii that I wasn’t sporting a hat for fear of growing a Melasma mustache. Cute, right? I love all things Outdoor Voices, but had yet to purchase a hat from them. That might just have to change with their dog hats. Although they don’t have a lab version, I still can’t help but love them. Particularly poodle version, because who can resist a sassy poodle embroidered on pale pink? Clearly not me.
6. STRIKING // FREDRICKS & MAE: Our mama is the queen of finding the coolest gifts for every occasion. Things that you’ve never seen before, are thoughtful, that serve a purpose, and are anything but junky. Perfect example: the 216 matches by Fredericks and Mae that she gave Molly. The giant, cork topped, glass tube is 12″ tall making the matches larger than your every day match and therefore so much cooler. The tube holds 216 “fireplace matches” and makes a pretty cool statement to have sitting out in the home. Not to mention that its practical, because there is nothing worse than realizing that you’re all out of matches and are dying to light your favorite holiday candle. How cool is the all black version? Would make an awesome gift to give to a guy as those are a little more masculine looking. As I was perusing the Fredericks and Mae website, I decided that its one of the neatest brands I’ve come across as of late. Hand painted Bocce Balls, thread wrapped Horsehair Brooms, and Backgammon Boards that resemble works of art make Fredericks and Mae the most perfect one stop shop for the person on your list who literally has everything. Do they have a thread wrapped Horsehair Broom? I bet not.
7. STILL SMILING // ELIZOEBETH JENSEN SIGNET RINGS: If you didn’t catch our post here about our new Elizoebeth Jensen sister signet rings – we.are.in.love. Truly feel SO lucky to have such beautiful, timeless pieces that we can wear every day. The fact that we get to match our mama with her pinky signet ring is just the cherry on top. Elizoebeth is SO kindly offering all A Piece of Toast readers 20% off online purchases on her site through the month of September. Enter ToastToLove at checkout to redeem! Today is the last day for guaranteed Christmas delivery!