Classics are Expensive

I really should have taken a picture of my current desk situation but here’s what I’m working with: This desk from West Elm (in white) and this chair from The Container Store (in a poppy red color). I loooove my desk – the open shelves are great for storing my magazines and it’s not too deep that it takes up a ton of room.  The chair is a different story… It’s not the most comfortable thing in the world and although I kind of like the bright pop of color, the red is starting to look like an accidental decision or hand-me-down addition to my otherwise neutral room.

SO.  What I think I need is the Eames Management chair in ivory/white leather (first image).  Isn’t she beautiful?  Originally designed in 1958, the chair is a modern and iconic classic – good looking and comfortable, it’s a piece I would have forever.  At a cheap $1,849 I may as well buy two, right?  I think you see where I’m going with this… Yes, the actual Eames is wayyyy out of my price range – classics are expensive – but classic furniture pieces also get their designs knocked-off so twenty-somethings can afford to buy things that kind of look like the original.  So here are the look-alikes I found… All are fall in around the $200+ range which pleases my wallet very much.  If I had to get picky, I think I’d take the last option from Advanced Interior Design; it looks the most realistic to me and would only set me back $219.  Think I should pull the trigger and get it soon?

(Image 1 via Room and Board, 2 via The Stamford Wife, 4 via Kerrisdale Design, 3 via Z Gallerie, 5 and 6 via Crate & Barrel, 7 via Advanced Interior Design, 8 via Delysia Style)

1. rebecca Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm

,,,take a peek at the leather "ethan office chair" that cost plus-world market has to offer,,,i love my white leather ethan chair (it's comfy) and it pairs well with the "josephine desk" that i also purchased,,,happy hunting!,,,

2. Chelsea Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yes! Go for it. The design is so classic that however you decorate in the future, this is going to work. I love it. xoxo

3. rikshaw design Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

i have been searching high and low for a desk chair … i have sat in the knock offs and they are super hard on the bum..look good but i need more padding for my toosh..i am sucking it up and buying a Aeron from design within reach ergonomic and might clear up my current lower back pain..
    let me know what you decide!

4. sam + mbm Friday, August 5, 2011 at 2:47 am

Thank you ALL for your suggestions!! CATHERINE – I should have know that the knock-offs may not be as comfortable on the tush as they look… REBECCA – I am most definitely going to stop into my local world market to try on the ethan chair!! It looks SO cute on their website and I think it might be the perfect fit – can't thank you enough for your suggestion :)

5. Teresa Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hi! I just stumbled upon your lovely blog via pinterest and noticed that a photo from my previous office space (from ages ago) was in your post! Nice surprise, but I think it was incorrectly tagged to someone elses design blog? Here is my original post…

I'm so adding your blog to my favorites!
    Teresa

PS. I got my knock off chair from Target for $150 (about 6 years ago).

6. Jess Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 1:28 am

I've had this chair in my head the past week and couldn't remember where I'd seen a post on it, and finally thought to do a search on your blog! Did you ever purchase this chair, or something like it? I'd love to know! :) Thanks!