Polaroid Art

Ever since our dear friend Fallon posted about Rita Konig’s apartment mantle art eons ago (almost exactly two years….weirddd), I haven’ t been able to forget about it.  I have been keeping the image and idea in my back pocket as inspiration ever since then to use someday, somewhere in one of my homes.  After Victoria’s wedding two weeks ago, I came home from the trip gushing to my boyfriend about how V had a whole bunch of white Instax “polaroid” cameras throughout the reception for guests to snap photos of the scene.  It was such a great idea, and seemed like a very un-cheesy way to capture some true candids throughout the night.  (I was a biggg fan of photographing her insanely awesome DJ/one man band and his many moves)

I then told my boyfriend that I myself was definitely going to have to inveset in one of those cooler than cool cameras so that I could one day create this Rita Konig polaroid look I was going for.  He of course had no idea what I was talking about, but didn’t forget what I said and surprised me with one of my own last weekend (!!!).  I am a firm believer that photographs are what truly make a house a home and that you can never have too many.  But at the same time I cannot stand a stuffy, posed picture and find more candid photos to be the way to go.  This little project seems like the perfect way to candidly document the little moments that you don’t always think to shoot.  Days at the park with the dogs, concerts with friends, random lunches and dinners, birthdays, and the like.  Since we’ve had the camera, R finally googled Rita’s apartment (“now what are you planning to do with these pictures anyway?”) and agrees that this is quite the genius idea for a someday place and has done the math that we will need a couple hundred photos in all.  Time to start snapping.  But not all at once of course:)

(Images via Rita Konig)

1. Lauren Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

just discovered your blog- love, love it! i also love that you are sisters— i am the oldest of three girls and would love to do something like this with them!

Lauren

2. Dana McDowell Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Great minds! A future Christmas gifting guide I made includes this camera, I wish I had one to replace my 90s Polaroid that tragically stopped working two years ago!!

3. Jenn Staz Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I love this idea… I saw something similar with printed Instagram pics, and I love the casual feel of it and being able to see a ton of pictures all at once because of their size. Having those cameras at a wedding is SUCH a great and fun idea!

4. Giovanna Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Such a cute idea! Loving that Polaroid camera! And how your boy surprised you with one!

5. victoria | vmac+cheese Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Did Mols show you the hilar photos I have of you girls? SO. GOOD. I'm planning on making a huge framed piece (like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/88805423871889613/) with all the photos!

6. Laura Marie Friday, November 16, 2012 at 3:37 am

Obsessed! I've considered doing this + putting it all in a frame so that I could easily move it + rearrange, etc… Love!

7. Janel Friday, November 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

i LOVE this idea, especially having the majority of the snaps in b&w with a sporadic color image thrown in

8. Inspirareland Friday, November 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Love the idea, so chic and easy.

9. Marissa Friday, November 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm

What a fantastic idea! Are the photos on Rita's wall all taken by her? Some of them look like proper art work. I can't wait to see yours!