Braided Pony

Last night I was half watching last week’s episode of Top Chef and half having a conversation about New Year’s resolutions when out of the corner of my eye I see Padma, looking as gorgeous as ever, with a braided high ponytail.  You can kind of see it in this photo from the show… It was the final validation I needed to start wearing the hairstyle myself. There is something sort of parochial, sort of quirky, and sort of badass about wearing a typical ponytail turned into a braid (regular or fishtailed).  I think the trick to keeping it from looking too “school-girl-esque” is to pair it with a outfit that is either sassy, dressy, or chic.  Think Blake in a deep-V dress, Padma in her short sweaterdress and tights, or Penelope in a classic black turtleneck.

Going to use the Christmas “break” to practice sporting this ‘do and getting it smooth in front and messy in back…

(Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

1. Julie Leah Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

It's images like these that make me ache for long hair again!!

2. Kristina Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Pictures like these always make me wish my hair was longer/thicker!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

3. celesteandpearl.blogspot.com Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:43 pm

So chic! Plus I love the waves in my hair after wearing it braided for a few hours. Double win! xox Liz

4. ComfyCozyCouture Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I used to rock the fishtail like it was my JOB when I was younger….I'm so glad it's back despite that I haven't tried it again!! Loving all these inspiration pictures!! XoXo

5. Johana Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm

See, I love fishtail braids and constantly try to do them. But my hair is in layers and I can't keep from having large parts coming out of the tail. Is it even possible? And no, it doesn't look quite as cool as it does when these women have flyaways or a slightly messy braid. Sad. =]

6. Albertina Friday, December 21, 2012 at 2:45 am

I do this all the time…..love it!

7. Brooke Reagan Friday, December 21, 2012 at 6:03 am

Blake Lively always looks like a beautiful mermaid in a ponytail braid! ; )

Brooke du jour

8. Maslinda Friday, December 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

OMG!! I love these hair styles!!! My hair are not so long to try them, though :/

9. Giovanna Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Loving this style! I tried it a few months back but haven't brought it back! Definitely need to learn how ot fishtail braid! lol

10. Preciously Me Friday, December 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

My fave one is fishtail braid!!!
    Unfortunately now my hair isn't long enough to make one :(
    But I love it ♥

11. smash Friday, December 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love this look, I think you nailed the styling. Good luck!!

12. Tim Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 1:19 am

I always want my girlfriend to wear her hair in a pony tail. I find it looks so cute on her.