Curb-link Chain

“Curb-link Chain.  Between old Hollywood and a gangster’s paradise, chunky chains find their footing.  They’re the ties that bind the hip-hop crowd to high society.  Thick gold links, conceived in the 1930s by Sicilian jeweler Duke Fulco di Verdura, originally shot to fame on the wrists of Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, and Katherine Hepburn.  The “curb” style, a reference to the chain’s ability to lie flat, quickly became a status symbol for starlets and European princesses alike.  In the ’80s, the jewelry picked up street cred on the necks of rappers like Run DMC and Slick Rick.  Today, whether you wear your links large and layered like Cee-Lo Green or left alone like Garbo, they’re the perfect blend of haute and hoi polloi.” – Emily Layden, Marie Claire December 2011

Because Emily gave us some history and style advice so succinctly, I decide to use her words to share my sentiments about curb-link chains… I like them.  And I’m looking for a big chunky bracelet.  Thinking that sterling silver (shocker for a gold loving girl like me) might be the thing.

P.S. hoi polloi: a Greek expression meaning “the many” or, in the strictest sense, “the majority”, is used in English to refer to the working class, commoners, the masses or common people in a derogatory sense. (I had to google that!  Interesting useage, huh?)

(Image viaMarie Claire Spread)

1. Inspirareland Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

LOVE this necklace!

2. Erica | cupcakes + coffee breaks Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm

The necklace in that photo is so amazing! I really wish I had it right now to go over my collared shirt. It would look so cute! Great find, and great taste ;)

3. Lauren Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

I want that necklace!
    ~Lauren

4. K Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:45 am

umm…you need to look up Angela Caputi. she's an amazing jewelry designer who works mostly in resin, and she has beautiful colorful bracelets and necklaces with links really similar to (or maybe the same as) these flat links. her stores are only in europe and she doesn't have online shopping but i've seen her things available online through other websites.

5. Fashion-isha Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:44 am

This chain is perfect with everything!
    xo
    Sharon

6. Giovanna Friday, January 11, 2013 at 1:04 am

In love with that necklace!!! So fab!!

7. celesteandpearl.blogspot.com Friday, January 11, 2013 at 5:31 am

Thank you for sharing some of the history – so interesting! (So chic!)
    xox Liz and Lo {celesteandpearl.blogspot.com}

8. Amy Huff Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Love them as well, Bauble Bar has some reasonable options that I've got my eye on. I've been on a rose gold kick lately and added a rose gold curb chain and have been scoping out some necklace options.