Author: Molly Miller (Left)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Owner of white lab pups blue moonbeam and Rosebud, Molly's primary job is running the blog and keeping up with her collection of white shirts. She tends to be the more tomboy + edgy sister and she's crazy about pizza and ripped jeans.
Toast: Butter + Strawberry jelly, or avocado + red pepper
Author: Sally Miller Walker (Right)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Sally's passion and career is as an early childhood education teacher. she has a weakness for sweets and shopping on line and plays more with pinks, pattern, and color than Molly. Currently listening to: vampire weekend.
Toast: Butter + Cinnamon + Sugar, or peanut butter
Something we both love: when ordinary things are slightly tweaked or detailed to become elevated and special. Items like this that come to mind are paperclips in fun shapes, a teabag folded as origami, clothespins where the wood pieces resemble people or animals - you get the idea. To us, mom's are masters at elevating the ordinary. Our mom is particularly skilled at this...nearly everything she does for us and others feels special and thoughtful.
In our family, our mom's hand-tied ribbon bows are legendary. She puts them on top of every package and they are like little (or sometimes big) works of art. Each Christmas we (all the siblings) make a big production of saving our bows and corresponding hand-written tags with our mom's perfect, architectural handwriting. The sweet little notes she writes along with those painstakingly crafted bows are almost more special to us than the gifts we are getting because they so perfectly represent the love and attention we constantly receive from our mama.
We are really excited to be partnering with Dove this Mother's Day to celebrate all moms and the special women in our lives. Like us, Dove understands the power of words (hand-written or otherwise) and how they can communicate the vast emotions we feel toward these powerful and influential women. In honor of the holiday Dove has released special edition Beauty Bars...
One of the reasons we love this partnership is because we have been using the Dove Beauty Bars our entire life. Why? Because – you guessed it – it’s what our mom gets and has been using since before we were born. You could say that the Beauty Bar is an iconic staple in her household and now both of ours. Imagine our surprise and excitement when we learned that for the first time in 60 years, the simple white cleansing bar has been transformed. For a limited time and available starting now through June, the words love, real, kind, and care will be engraved into individual Dove Beauty Bars as a way to honor impactful woman. You get the same gentle, radiant cleanser but now it’s an elevated ordinary – a small change that’s special – and perfect for honoring the women in our lives.
There are probably hundreds of words we could use to describe our wonderful mama in addition to the four chosen by Dove – beautiful, supportive, creative, happy, strong, genuine, inspiring, and thoughtful also come to mind – but we think that care, real, kind, and love are excellent words and positive messages that apply to so many women, mothers or not.
This Mother’s Day we will of course be sending our mom specially chosen cards, a few gifts, and probably flowers…but we will also be giving her these engraved Beauty Bars. We hope they’ll serve as a simple and daily reminder of how much she means to us. Whether or not you have something planned for the inspirational women in your lives in honor of Mother’s Day, we encourage to consider gifting a Beauty Bar or two to your mom or a female friend who inspires you!
After the whirlwind that has been this past week, I am shocked that Friday is already here. I have had a hard time even keeping up with what day of the week it is ever since we've been on our honeymoon. Tomorrow night I fly to Scottsdale for a friend's bachelorette weekend and I'm pretty pumped to get back into some warm weather and to be lounge poolside with some of my bestest. Living in Texas I was so accustomed to the warm (re: HOT) weather and loved the warm nights best of all. That weather does not exist in San Francisco, so I cherish it each time I get to experience it. With highs estimated to be in the 90's this weekend, I am crossing my fingers for some warm and cozy nights. Am I crazy in these thoughts? All weather talk aside, there are some pretty good sales going on this week. See below to find out more! (read on to get the sales + steals)
This + That:
A. FAVORITE READ // The Not-So-Basic Guide to Rosé via The Coveteur (I know nothing about wine – it’s not even my drink of choice – but nothing says spring like rosé and I’m studying up so I can know how to buy a bottle or order a glass!)
B. FAVORITE PIN // this via (looking chic in bed goals)
Furbish: rugs are 15% off for the next two days (ends 4/24) use code FLOORED! (love the colors and pattern of this runner)
GAP: one day only – 40% off 5+ items, 30% off 3+ items, and 20% off 1+ item online only with code FRIFUN (Say hello to the most perfect cotton romper, a straw hat that won’t break the bank, and one of the cutest coverups I’ve seen lately)
J.Crew: extra 40% off sale styles and 30% off everything else with code SCORE (Remember that time I dedicated a whole blog post to gingham? Currently I have this and this in my cart and I already ordered the bathing suits I mentioned in Wednesday’s post)
J.Crew Factory: online only, extra 30% off with code GETSHOPPING (This dress is one of those pieces you most likely wouldn’t regret buying – in every color. Remember my love of pj sets? These are sure to sell out fast so get them while you can!)
LOFT: 50% off spring goodies and 60% off sale styles (This sweater has great reviews and is the perfect transitional piece)
Madewell: 30% off spring essentials with code ASAP30 (Is it just me or does it seem like Madewell rarely runs sales? I am taking advantage and ordering this in the bright ivory because I know I’ll wear it all the time.)
Old Navy: now through Saturday, 4/30, take 30% off with code THANKYOU (Love this off the shoulder in the pale chambray, the dress also comes in a top version, this romper could easily be dressed up with wedges or down with flip flops, and I had to order this top as soon as I saw it because its already backordered!)
Saks Fifth Avenue: friends and family sale up to 30% off online and in stores through 4/25! (I always find friends and family sales to be a great time to stock up on denim, specifically Frame Denim. Molly recently got these and says they’re amazing. Looking at these or these – I am in need of a “medium” wash pair for spring!)
Steve Madden: free shipping with orders over $50 with code SMFREE50!
Vince: 10% off your first purchase online and in stores with code 10WELCOME!
We're pretty open about the fact that we have a major crush on Loeffler Randall at all times. The brand never fails to get our attention and come out with new designs each season that steal our heart and infiltrate our closet. Aside from the details we love - ranging from tassels, perforated leather, pom-poms, laces, studs, and more - we find the quality of the shoes and accessories to be one of the top winning factors.
Loeffler Randall's spring/summer collection has been one for the books...so far it has been one of our favorites and full of so much covetable goodness. It's for this reason that the two of us could not be more excited to share that we've partnered with our dear friend at LR to share a few of our essential picks and offer A Piece of Toast readers and exclusive 20% discount!
Trying to narrow down our top favorites was much harder than you might think. There’s truly not a single shoe we would not wear or handbag we would not carry. So our method for choosing essentials was based on wearability (items that can carry you through the entire season), special details (the tassels! stars! pompoms! woven raffia! elaphe snake!), a variation of heel height and shoe types, and range of handbags (buckets, clutches, double zips, color, oh my).
You can shop from our selection of essentials – or put anything from the Loeffler Randall site in your basket – and use discount code TOAST20 to get a 20% off discount applied to your entire purchase. So if you didn’t get to take advantage of the Friends & Family sale that just ended or you wish you had gotten one more pair of shoes (or two, or three), now is great time to shop and save!! Just make sure to use the discount before it ends time runs out…it can be applied till end of day, April 26th.
To get you inspired on how to style a few of our favorites, Molly took four of our selections for a spin:
Ines Lace-Up Clogs: don’t be too intimidated by the height of this platform, it’s surprisingly easy to walk in and super comfortable (the platform keeps your arch from getting tired and sore). We love the file snake version because it’s such a fun, different material!
Luz Lace-Up Sandal: this is a nude heel that has it all…a chunky heel (big trend for the season and make for comfortable height), lace-up front, and tons of tassels. It makes a statement but goes with just about anything. Definitely one of those shoes that you will wear year after year and still have people stopping to ask you where you got it.
Harper Wrap Espadrille Wedge: only LR could take the most classic of styles and add the slightest detail to elevate it – the ankle wrap can be tied in a knot at the back or bowed in the front and makes the espadrille anything but basic. The traditional spring/summer shoe begs to be worn with dresses and shorts.
Clo Tassel Slide: this mule is one that every woman should jump on. The lower heel height (2.75″) makes it great for around the clock wear and the soft leather makes it supremely easy to slip into and ultra comfortable. But the real reason it’s such a necessity: the tassels! The move when you walk and are just too fun. The metallic silver is a great neutral but the slide also comes in black and nude!
We hope you enjoy using the discount!! Don’t forget you have till 4/26 to use it!
It's only Wednesday and already this week has been jam-packed. My husband and I just got back to San Francisco after our nine night stay in Anguilla then visit to Kansas City Monday and Tuesday. The trip, as I've mentioned before, was just amazing. And although it was so sad saying goodbye to my grandfather, being in my hometown with Molly, our other siblings, and our immediate family was a really special time. I'm looking forward to getting back to work and into the swing of "normal" life and am super excited about sharing today's vibes! (read more to see what I've been obsessing over)
1. TRYING // CROPPED FLARES: I have been wanting to try the cropped flare denim trend for awhile now. I ordered a pair from H&M a few weeks ago, but didn’t love the fit of them so back they went. I recently noticed that GAP had a pair that looked like just the right amount of flare and seemed to fit well. They also come in multiple washes, even white and black. Funny enough, the next day after discovering these, my friend Hannah texted me saying she had bought the white pair and loved them. We always end up lusting after and/or buying the same pieces, so if Hannah loves them, its almost a guarantee that I will too. I ordered them in white and this wash. With a 40% code, it seemed well worth the purchase. Stay tuned!
2. SEARCHING // PERFECT PERFUME: I can’t even tell you the last time, if ever, I’ve found a signature scent that I was just crazy about. Its one of those moments – you know, the one where people fall in love with this insanely amazing scent that lingers just right – that I have never actually experienced. Once that stands the test of time and seasons and places, too. The most important part to me is that it also lasts. By the end of the day I still want to be able to catch a whiff of it on my wrists, because then I know that if I can still smell it, surely others can too. Better they smell that than other things after a long day that are only being controlled by natural deodorant that never seems quite strong enough. Molly wears Le Labo’s Rose 31 perfume and it pretty much seems to do all of the aforementioned things – and more. She is literally stopped by strangers, both men and women, wanting to know the scent. So I guess you could say that maybe I’m just a little bit jealous. I have plans to go to our local Barney’s in San Fran to see if I can find something that strikes my fancy. I like that Barney’s carries lines that not everyone seems to have or sell and it seems like the store would lend itself to a pleasant experience in my search. Pleasant in that I won’t be so overwhelmed and headache-induced from an excess of scents that I leave the store empty handed and running. Two scent lines I’m interested in testing: Frédéric Malle (my mom uses Portrait of a Lady and loves it) and Byredo (adore the crisp branding and have heard that Gypsy Water is amazing).
3. BLUSHING // HOURGLASS: Before we left for our honeymoon I went to Sephora to pick up some new bronzer – this stuff, after learning that Glossier’s own Emily Weiss uses it. I used to use it years and years ago and ditched it because I wasn’t digging the packaging, but you know what they say: you can’t judge a book (or a bronzer) by its cover. While in Sephora and in need of another makeup pick me up, I impulsively purchased this Hourglass Blush. I had read about it somewhere and it has rave reviews on Sephora so I decided to give it a shot. Consider me one very satisfied customer. The color I got is called “luminous flush” and it gives just the right amount of a flush to your cheeks and looks as if you’ve just come in from outside. It is truly an instant picker upper to my complexion and I could easily toss it into a handbag and feel confident that it would bring my appearance back to life in one quick swipe.
4. LUSTING // MORE BEACHY-NESS: We returned from our honeymoon on Monday and it has been a whirlwind since then with everything happening in our family. Since I haven’t quite returned back to reality and actually am heading back to somewhere warm this weekend for a bachelorette, I can’t help but have warm weather wear still on my mind. Two of my most adored coverups I own are by lemlem and they re somewhat of souveniers to me because they are both from one of my most favorite places – 30A. Specifically, Ophelia, the best swimsuit shop in the area. Lemlem’s pieces are seriously works of art in which you can see the beautiful hand-weaving that went into them as well as the various textures of each material and fabric. All of their products are made by artisans across Africa which makes them that much more special. The latest lemlem pieces for Spring are by no surprise, so stunning. I am particularly drawn to this off the shoulder because it could be great worn as a tunic over a pair of white jeans, too. This striped tunic is also quite pleasing to me – perfect for throwing over my favorite pair of jean shorts. Other things I am lusting after for warmer temps? So many of J.Crew’s new bathing suits like this one and this both of which I currently have in my cart. Also, Marysia Swim’s newest color, Papaya, which yellow is one of my most favorite colors in life. Debating whether I should get the “Santa Barbara” one shoulder style or the “Mott” high neck style. Decisions, decisions.
5. USING // SAMSUNG CAMERA: By now you know that Molly is the talent behind much of the original imagery we use on the blog and has quite the knack for photography – taking various classes and workshops to further her skills however she can. I on the other hand, am not quite in that same boat. However, I wanted a camera that was a step up from a point and shoot that I could count on for great personal photos that also wasn’t so bulky that I couldn’t bring it out with ease. Enter this little guy, the Samsung NX300. It has a larger lens to give me the high quality photos I had been wanting, but is much more user friendly than what Molly uses. I can set it on “auto” and count on it to consistently give me great photos, which is exactly what I had been wanting. Another bonus? It has the capability to connect to your phone via wifi should I want to upload to my phone and send to family or put on social media. Pretty cool, right? After using it alll the time on our honeymoon, I have to say that it is my new best friend and I don’t know how I ever lived or traveled without it.
6. LOVING // CIDER BRANDING: I came across this stunning branding on Instagram and knew that I just had to share it. Not your typical branding for a cider, but its pretty amazing. The cider company Wolffer, is based out of the Hamptoms, so its no surprise they would come up with something so unique. I should probably admit right now that I’m not sure I have ever tried or would even like cider, but this branding might just convince me. If all else fails, I will use them as vases, right?!
7. GIFTING // FRAMED PICS: Have any of you ever tried Framebridge? I have yet to try it, but after seeing countless people loving it and seeing how pretty the frames seem to turn out, I am more than curious. We have yet to frame any of our wedding photos (I know, I know), so this seems like the perfect way to frame some of our favorites in various sizes. I am hoping to someday live in a place with enough wall space that I can get one or two of these ledges to lean various sized photos or special art pieces on. I love the look of it and it seems more flexible to me than a gallery wall. It also seems like a tasteful to display some wedding photos without it looking like a “shrine” that we may someday get sick of. Thinking that getting one of my wedding photos framed with Framebridge would make for a good first year anniversary gift (the first year is “paper”!).