Happy Halloween and brrrr! It's a chilly 61 degrees in Dallas right now. And hey, that's basically coat and jacket weather for these parts! I'm all treat, no tricks, with the military-inspired peacoat you see today. I know from experience that kate spade new york doesn't mess around with their outerwear (Sally and I still fight over the pink belted overcoat we "share") and pieces are as warm and durable as they are sweet and chic. I cleaned out so many coats and jackets last year and after re-visiting my coat closet several times in the past week I realized that I really only have one (maybe two) suitable coats that are "nice" enough to wear with non-athletic outfits. The Ruffle Velvet Coat arrived just in time to swoop in and save many an ensemble.
This coat has a little bit of everything: tight ruffles along the seams and a longer ruffle along the back, velvet trim, an oversized collar, shiny buttons, a velvet bow at the back of the neck, and cherry-red lining . Sounds like a lot but the black on black texture makes for the coolest contrast and I love how the gold buttons look with my typical uniform of jeans (distressed, most days) and a white shirt.
If you’re feeling the military-esque look you will probably appreciate the other ksny jackets and coats that non to the style…love the length of this coat, this jacket is a lighter version of the one I’m wearing (ponte knit with pearl buttons!), and I’m dying for the faux fur collar on this military jacket.
This has been the weirdest week - first going by slower than slow and then fast. Friday kind of snuck up on me. Anyone else? The weather here has been just as wonky - 85 degrees one day and 55 the next. This weekend looks like it will be really nice and sunny, which hopefully means lots of time outdoors - our favorite thing to do! (read on to get the sales + steals)
This + That:
- A. FAVORITE READ // “Style Hack: 3 Ways To Tie A Scarf” via J.Crew Blog (Because it’s almost scarf weather and we could all use a little refresher on the basics of tying!)
- B. FAVORITE PIN // this via @designlovefest
- C. FAVORITE INSTAGRAM //@carolinaherrera (Not sure what I love more, the pretty pink dress or the effortless hair and makeup of the girl wearing it…)
- D. FAVORITE OUTFIT // EJ Style
- Ann Taylor: 50% off wear now styles + extra 50% off all sale styles! (Love the side tie detail on this.)
- Anthropologie: Extra 25% off sale! (Wish I was wearing this right.now.)
- Banana Republic: Extra 50% off sale! (Give me allll the cute sweatshirts. Perfect “mom uniform”.)
- Bloomingdales: Fall break – save 25-60% off on a large selection of items! (These are the softest – ever.)
- Bluemercury: Free deluxe treats with every order!
- Calypso St. Barth: Enjoy 50% off sale styles!
- CB2: Up to 25% off select dinnerware and entertaining! (Love this little cheese server set.)
- Chicwish: Enjoy an extra 10% off orders over $70 with code HSE10. (This is a cute twist on a solid black sweater.)
- Crate & Barrel: 20% off wine and dine.
- French Connection: 30% off outerwear with code FCCJ30. Through 10/31. (This is perfect timing for the cold front we’re experiencing here! How cute is this? And the price. Yessss.)
- Gap: Up to 50% off almost everything + extra 20% off your purchase. Use code ALLGOOD. (These look amazing – might have to order to see how they are in person. Loving the wash. This takes the term “comfy clothes” to the next level. Its like a glorified bathrobe.)
- H&M: 20% off $100 + free shipping with code 3550. (How cozy is this? Yes. Please. Also, this has such pretty lines to it!)
- J.Crew: Free shipping on all orders plus 25% off women’s full priced styles with code SCORE. (Molly and I tried these on in the store and I’m deeply regretting not taking them home with me. Loving their toothpick style and the wash is perfect in person.)
- J.Crew Factory: In stores and online – up to 60% off everything! Plus, 40-50% off accessories! (This is a great piece – especially in the black. Love this guy in the navy. And I’ll take this in all three colors! )
- LOFT: FLASH SALE! 60% off fall steals + all sale styles. (These look pretty much perfect and have great reviews. Also, such a good price.)
- Old Navy: 20% off your order! Use code SWEET. (This is amazing in the white/cream color.)
- Serena and Lily: Enjoy up to 25% off at the dining room event! (I will forever love these!)
Truth: I was not sure I could pull off this Pom Embroidered Top. It's adorable but I had this sneaky fear that the pom poms and Russian-style embroidery would be too much for me. Truth: It's fantastic and I love it and it's so easy to style. I love that it's white and black (so I'm in my color comfort zone) but the detailing is a departure from what I usually go for (ruffles, florals, etc.). The "relaxed blouse" silhouette makes it...relaxed. Great with skinny black jeans and heels for dinner or lighter wash denim and flats (like I have it here) for a more casual situation.
If you’re a freak for pom poms – I love them but it’s not always easy to find them in non rainbow hues – then you need to take a look at the other pom pieces kate spade new york designed for fall: this skirt, midi dress and mini dress are total showstoppers in the red and black combo (so perfect for the upcoming holiday season, no?), I adore the black on black look of this jacket, and the poms on this wool cashmere sweater are the perfect touch!