About two months ago my face was going through a rough time – it seemed that over night it had transformed into the dry and breakout prone skin of a teenager. So dry that my regular routine was causing me to get a symmetrical rash on both of my cheeks that looked terrible. I consulted my new coworker (who has flawless skin) about what to do and she sat me down and gave me a stern talking to… “You’re face is so parched I can see it from 3 feet away and you are literally burning your skin with the acne treatment you’ve been using – your face is in pain.” Um, wtf. How could I have let this happen? I was mortified to tell her that at the time I was using no moisturizer or lotion on my face. She held my hand, told me everything would be okay, and instructed me in the path of what I now consider my skin saving routine. Oh, and I now consider her my “skin whisperer.”
01. Neutrogena Naturals, Fresh Cleansing + Makeup Remover: I use this gentle wash at night to remove all my make-up including my waterproof Dior mascara. It smells so fresh and I’m always amazed that it removes all traces of makeup without any forceful rubbing on my eyes. Highly recommend for those who like to get eye-makeup off while washing your whole face.
02. Willa Girl Foaming Facial Wash: This product was sent to us by one of our favorite beauty PR teams and although it’s part of a new all natural skincare line created specifically for girls ages 7-18 I decided to give it a try… After I use the cleanser above I put the foaming wash on my damp skin and use with my Clarisonic. My face feels amazing afterwards and so squeaky clean – the natural formula is hydrating and did wonders to tame by inflamed skin. This is the cleansing product I use every morning.
03. Clarisonic Mia: My favorite. I got it for Christmas and have been religious about using it everyday in the morning and evening. It’s not for everyone but I love how it buffs my skin and leaves it feeling super clean and soft.
04. Clarisonic Delicate Brush Head: Even after I added moisturizer to my routine, my skin was still so angry and the ugly rash would not seem to go away… The skin whisperer told me that my regular Clarisonic brush head might be to blame and told me to invest in the “delicate” brush – the most gentle in the line. I took her advice and it was like going from sandpaper to feathers. Well, not really, but you get the idea. My skin thanked me and the rash disappeared.
05. DERMAdoctor Ain’t Misbeavin‘: Sally has blogged about this stuff before… Before my skin care woes of 2012 I used this morning and night. Hence the “burning of my skin.” It’s powerful stuff guys – not the best thing to use twice a day if you don’t have true acne. I now only use a teeny tiny bit if I get a flare up and I only apply it a small area and not my whole face. Powerful I tell ya.
06. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer: Do you have sensitive skin? Buy this. Hydrating to the max, sinks in fast, not greasy, light and clean scent – I love it. I put it on three separate times before I leave in the morning because I love it so much. No spf for me here either, I found tested a sample with and without and the spf made my skin red.
07. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream: The woman at the Kiehl’s counter tried to talk me out of getting both the moisturizer and the cream but I insisted I needed the cream for night. It was worth the battle – the cream is a bit thicker and richer and I can almost hear angels singing when I put it on after washing my face at night. My skin loves it.
08. Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado: If you’re looking for a good eye cream I highly recommend this… It’s very light and delicate but very hydrating. I’ve noticed a huge difference in how my skin looks around my eyes since using it.
09. Ilia Balmy Days Lip Care: Also sent to us by our beauty guru PR loves, I made this lip care mine all mine. It’s the first thing I put on my lips before my lipstick or gloss and the last thing I put on before bead. Clear and conditioning, it goes on like silk and is so much better than any chapstick I’ve ever used.
Obviously these products might not be the answer for everyone but they work wonders for me so I thought I’d pass them along! The older I get the more I invest in taking good tare of my skin…
(Novel: An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin // Image taken by MBM for A PIECE of TOAST)