Author: Molly Miller (Left)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Owner of white lab pups blue moonbeam and Rosebud, Molly's primary job is running the blog and keeping up with her collection of white shirts. She tends to be the more tomboy + edgy sister and she's crazy about pizza and ripped jeans.
Toast: Butter + Strawberry jelly, or avocado + red pepper
Author: Sally Miller Walker (Right)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Sally's passion and career is as an early childhood education teacher. she has a weakness for sweets and shopping on line and plays more with pinks, pattern, and color than Molly. Currently listening to: vampire weekend.
Toast: Butter + Cinnamon + Sugar, or peanut butter
Amour = love. And I love this sweatshirt. Other people really love it too...so much so that it's currently sold out on J.Crew (grrrrrrr). Very annoying, I know. But as someone who loves upgraded sweatshirts (you know, styles that are a little nicer or have something extra - making them perfect to wear with jeans without looking sloppy?) I have found and linked some other favorites!
Words, embroidery, patches and more: this one says “LOVE” with letterman-style letters and it comes in two colors, this one comes in two colors and is embroidered and embellished with “oui” and “non” (so cute), you don’t have to be a New York native to rock this one, stripes and a little heart patch give this a sporty look, really love this one with rêveur (which means “dreamer” in French!), adore the heart patches on the light blue and light pink version of this, this one has bold sleeves and bold embroidery but is super fun, and I’m not usually one for hoodies but this sunny yellow color is so fun, another hoodie but this one has a tennis twist.
Solid colored: I have this style from last season (in light pink!) and love the slightly cropped fit, this off-shoulder guy is amazing, everyone needs a white sweatshirt and this one looks so clean and cozy, love the three color options and high side slits on this.
And can I take a second to gush about how obsessed I am with the fun feathery/fuzzy handbag you see here?! It’s the Mini Ann Bucket Bag by Frances Valentine and it seriously makes me so happy. The style comes in several colors but I’m crazy about the red…it’s especially perfect for the holiday season!
Its no surprise that over half of this week's Current Vibes are holiday/Christmas related. December is mere days away and Thanksgiving is behind us, which means that its completely socially acceptable to become obsessive about the next holiday - right? Christmas feels that much more fun with a baby this year, so I just can't help myself! Read on for this week's vibes...
1. GOOP GUIDING // FOR GIFTS: To be honest, I get a little OD’d on gift guides this time of year. They seem to be everywhere I turn – I think it just gives me flashbacks to when Molly and I would slave over them. But, I’ve got to say that the Gift Guides from goop feel different. They’re perfectly curated with a little something for everyone without seeming overwhelming. Obviously, in true goop fashion, there are some larger ticket items, but some other really great things, too. Because guys are nearly impossible to buy for (dads included), I particularly liked the Guys recommendations. I need to track this down for a stocking stuffer! Also, am I allowed to put this on my own list? This is another great stocking stuffer! Thanks, goop!
2. ORNAMENTING // 12 DAYS SET: Thanks to our mama, we have a pretty full Christmas tree which makes decorating it each year that much more fun. Years ago our mom gave me a set of the Crate and Barrel12 Days of Christmas ornaments and I just love them. The set is perfect when trying to fill a tree and I’m even considering buying this years version since they’re different from what we already have. They would be darling on a small tree in a child’s room, too.
3. UNIFORMING // BURU SWING SHIRT: White shirts are my uniform. In all varieties. Tees, button downs, blouses – you name it, I love it. Years ago, Molly and I bought some tunic-style button downs from J.Crew – also known as the “Endless” button down, that I have literally worn to death. Its a miracle the shirt is still white. Its definitely had its fair share of Oxy Clean. To this day, I still regret not buying a second one of these shirts because I wear mine that much and its always nice to have multiples in something white that can’t keep clean for long. That’s why when I found my new favorite button down in a swing style from BURU, I ordered a second one as soon as I decided that I was in love. The Sandra Dee Swing Shirt is a mom/girl’s best friend. Literally. The longer length and swing style take it up a notch from your typical button down and are also super practical. Not to mention that the shirt has pockets, which is an actual game changer when juggling 15,000 things at once. I’ve already worn the shirt multiple times and plan to make it my mom-uniform with jeans and my favorite sneakers. I guess I should apologize now for wearing the same thing every day?
4. GNOMING // HUDSON GRACE: Another Christmas, another year with our Hudson Gracegolden gnome. My husband and I splurged on the gold guy when we were living in San Francisco a few years ago and he has spent every Christmas (I think 4 of them!) with us since. It was the first piece of Christmas decor that we bought and picked out together which brings back all of the feels each year when we bring him out. This year he is sitting front and center on our console table and you can see him from the window. My husband is dying to get two red guys to go on either side of the gold one, which would be pretty cute and kind of fun to represent our family of three. Give me alll the gnomes.
5. WEARING // HOLIDAY JAMMIES: One of the ways in which I am fully embracing Christmas with a little one is in the form of lots and lots of Christmas jammies. I jokingly told my husband that baby H would be wearing them every night from now until Christmas. But I’m kind of not kidding. As long as I can keep up with the laundry! I have a few pairs at home and a few more en route to us. These, these (which we got for the whole family!), and these. We will obviously be packing all of them when we go to Kansas City for the holidays so that we can be super festive. Can’t. Get. Enough.
6. BURNING // UMA INCENSE: I’m a big fan of all things UMA. We swear by the Baby Oil – its amazing for eczema and the smell is unreal. A little goes a long way, too so our bottle has lasted us quite awhile! I also can’t live without their Ultimate Brightening Oil. Its the perfect “primer” to apply before foundation and is great for this time of year when my skin is dryer. I have noticed a dramatic difference ever since I started using it regularly. Definitely a holy grail product for me. I use the Pure Calm Oil every night before bed and lovee it. With how much I love UMA’s products, I jumped at the chance to try their new Wellness Incense Sticks from West Elm. I am constantly worried that our house smells like dogs – two big dogs will do that to you. Ugh. Love the dogs, but not so much their smells! Trying to stay away from synthetic fragrances in the home, while also keeping things smelling nice can be a bit of a challenge. Thank goodness for UMAbecause our house now smells beyond amazing and we’ve been burning the incense in every room. We have the Pure Calm which I’m going to buy more of (with the great price!), but I also want to try the Pure Bliss. Since it works so well I am going to keep a back stock – I’m slightly obsessive about keeping our house smelling nice.
7. WATCHING // THE ROYAL ENGAGEMENT: Did you hear? Yea, I know you did. I’m pretty excited as I know it will be a fun spectacle! I love keeping up with the royal family just as much as the next person, so I’m pretty excited to follow along with the engagement and upcoming wedding.
Forget hearts for eyes, I got stars for eyes as soon as I saw kate spade's holiday collection. In case you missed it, let me tell its comprised of moody blues (including a really fabulous rose print) and icy blues, soft metallics, winter white, not-your-average black pieces, and a few blush pink pretties to round it all out. And stars. Inspired by the siberian night sky, the ksny team incorporated a range of starry styles - from stars woven with metallic threads into chiffon (as seen in the dress I have on here!) to more eye-catching shiny and embroidered embellishments (hello jeans and dress), a few printed stars (this tee and button-up are adorable), and a knit sweater that got the big star treatment. Love how the clustered stars are a whimsical take on classic polka dots...so perfect to wear during the festive holiday season when nearly everything starts to take on a bright and glinting look.
So yes, I fell for the star stuff quickly and immediately gravitated toward this Night Sky Dot Mini Dress. Molly got a similar mini style several months ago (embroidered with cherries!) and I loved how the long sleeves balanced out the shorter hem. To further compliment the short gathered skirt I paired it with a pair of tall boots – which happen to have the perfect comfortable heel height. Feeling pretty special in this starry number and will most definitely be wearing it for more than a few holiday festivities…
Other kate spade pieces that have the same star treatment as my dress: this fun ruffle top, this midi dress (love the tiered skirt), this gathered skirt (another mini number!), and this peter pan collared top.
Psssst! It’s a great time to shop kate spade new york because their Cyber Monday sale is still going strong (though it ends tonight!). Get 30% off pull priced items and 40% off sale items with code MOREJOY!
I don't take the term "girl crush" lightly...I reserve it for truly special ladies. Sisters Lizzie and Sarah Means take my idea of a girl crush to new heights. I basically have a duo crush on them (to me, they're a packaged deal) and a very big obsession for their boot brand, Miron Crosby. If you're someone who reads this blog regularly (thank you, whomever you are!) then you already recognize the name Miron Crosby and remember me talking about the company in this Current Vibes post and saw their generous boot donation toward The Great Giveaway Sally and I hosted. If you're not caught up to speed then let me break it down for you...
Lizzie Means Duplantis and Sarah Means launched their handmade, artisanal boot company Miron Crosby this past June. The two were inspired by their own personal collections of cowboy boots and West Texas roots and wanted to marry the craftsmanship and versatility they've always loved with their fashion-forward lifestyles. Having both lived in Manhattan and been asked countless times about whatever boots they happened to be wearing, Lizzie and Sarah plunged into the boot business with unwavering passion and a mission to design and produce western silhouettes for men, women, and kiddos meant to be styled 24/7/360.
My lovely sister friends Lizzie and Sarah did a little Q+A session me as a way for y'all to get to know more about them and bit more about the magic behind Miron Crosby. I hope you all enjoy getting a peek inside the brand and their studio in Highland Park Village - a must visit if you're in Dallas (for the boots, Shiprock Santa Fe and Mignonne Givagan jewels, Comstock Heritage silver pieces, Chacón belts and more)! And of course, if you're not in Dallas you can always shop the boots online!
Before I dive into the Q+A, I’d like to note that I’m not a stranger to cowboy boots and having lived in Texas for over seven years, have come to admire beautiful boots. I confess that the only pair I own is a boring off-the-shelf variety. Having seen so many people rocking custom boots with colorful and creative designs, initials, custom details, etc. I’ve dreamed of designing my own pair but have heard that it can be an overwhelming process and that by the time you get through the long waiting period for your pair to be made your often disappointed by the end result because it was so hard to visualize what you were designing at the time. Miron Crosby has taken the concept (and pitfalls) of custom boots and personalization to the next level. Each and every pair of MC boots is hand-lasted (done in Texas by the legendary Rios of Mercedes) and customers have the option to purchase ready-to-wear styles – which with the range of creative designs and colors are anything by typical – or create a custom bespoke pair via a concierge design service that makes the visualization process so fun and easy.
I really can’t say how much I love the boots. But it’s my adoration (re: girl crush) of Lizzie and Sarah that has made me such a fan of the brand. Miron Crosby isn’t simply a company producing beautiful boots, but it’s really a passion project for Lizzie and Sarah. They sweat each and every style and stitch…and truly want to give their customers heirloom quality boots that are so fun and fashionable they want to wear them everywhere (and not just the rodeo, ranch, and country concerts).
Q: How did you take the leap to launching Miron Crosby? (what made it the right time? what was the “let’s just do this” moment?) Lizzie Means Duplantis (LMD): One of my best friends sparked what became the conversation between Sarah and me to launch Miron Crosby. Sarah and I had been discussing the business for months when she came to town to celebrate my birthday. We drank way too much champagne one night and decided we’d take the plunge! We had been so excited about the prospect of the business, and knew our product was authentic, unique and truly so special – we’re thrilled to have had the opportunity to bring it to market!
Q: How did you decide to open both a store and have an e-commerce site? LMD: Our product is a luxury handcraft. We wanted customers to have an in-store experience – come in, meet Sarah and me, hear about the boots and select and design boots in a high-touch environment. We also wanted the product to be accessible, with distribution beyond the local market. We are really committed to growing our digital brand.
Q: I know that your West Texas roots and personal boot collections were the starting point for your love of the western-style soles, but how did you decide that Miron Crosby would put a spin on stock boots – offering designs that you typically only see with bespoke orders? LMD: In this day and age, when so much is mass-produced, we want to offer product that is one of a kind, unique to and for our customer. We have worked to incorporate the greatest artistic influences of the southwest with more modern design by working with storied cowboy boot artisans in Texas and a fashion designer in New York (who, when we partnered, had never been to the southwest and is actually Northern Irish). The result is extraordinary. The modern, discerning customer wants original and that is what our boots offer: handmade with intricate detailing, fashionable, and limited – truly, our boots really are wearable art. Sarah Means (SAM): We sample so many styles, but what we go to production with for our stock collection is about what’s missing in our wardrobes that we wish we had to wear right now. I’m forever imagining where people are wearing these – if she’s travelling to New York at Christmas time, she wants our tall Jode tassel boot – it’s sleek and urban, and can stand up to the snow, or our Jackie shorty to wear with ripped jeans and the zippers slouched for dinner in Brooklyn. If she’s going to black-tie wedding on New Years Eve (I am!), she’s wearing our Sally boots in stingray with a silk crepe midi skirt and some statement earrings. Sparkly! Day in and day-out with cropped flares, she’s in our jumping star Booke shorty, or with long printed skirts, our colorful bird and branch Caroline boot.
Q: As someone who has been wearing cowboy boots since college, your boots have completely changed my view that western boots are best for rodeos, ranches, and country concerts. How are you working to change the opinion that cowboy boots can and should be worn with almost anything and how does it influence your design process? SAM: The cowboy boot is such a classic silhouette, and it works on everyone – you’re seeing them more and more in street style and down the runway. Our customers are so cool; they’re styling them with every-day wear already, but my hope is right now, right this second, swap a pair of cowboy boots for the Sam Smith sneakers or moto boots you have on – it feels fresh and on-point. Further, the option to choose from a variety of fabrications, incorporate colors, monograms and other personalization creates an authenticity that we feel is lacking in fashion right now.
Q: I love the range of options – both in color, detailing, and designs – you all have come up with for the stock line. How do your personal tastes and aesthetics influence the available styles? SAM: We laugh about this all the time, but Lizzie and I actually have very different aesthetics. If it were up to me, the whole collection would be black and grey, but in Lizzie’s mind it’s gold and hot pink! We’re both really inspired by juxtapositions: our modern, fashion-driven collection is made in a factory that has been in existence since the 1860’s; our global travels, our transformative time in New York City, all this tempered with the fond and familiar things we grew up around on the ranch. That’s our sweet spot: the paradox between the old and new, the traditional and the modern.
Q: The bespoke – or custom boot design offerings – you offer in-store and while doing trunk shows is one of the aspects I find most special about Miron Crosby. I know you all have custom-designed more than a few pairs of boots for yourselves, how did you want the Miron Crosby bespoke experience to be different from other self-designed programs? What do you feel makes the MC offerings to special? LMD: Our design process is curated so that the customer is involved in every aspect of the boot’s design. From fabrication to the color of the leather and stitch – we want the customer’s fingerprints all over their custom pair of MC boots. Our program is specific – we have leather swatches you can touch and feel, even tiles with every letter in the alphabet in each of the two fonts we offer that can be laid over a piece of leather to visualize what your initials will look like inlayed or appliqued on the boot. My very favorite part of the program is you can write a message that will be transcribed in your handwriting onto a piece of leather and then sewn into the lining of your boots. We’ve had the sweetest, most hilarious, most meaningful messages written. Our boots are heirloom quality, and we hope that they will be passed down from generation to generation. The note makes them all the more meaningful. We spent hours researching and developing our custom program, including trips to LA and NYC. We stand for custom, and this sets us apart.
Q: Sarah, if you were a boot, which boot would you be – and which boot do you think Lizzie is? Lizzie if you were a boot, which boot would you be – and which boot do you think best represents Sarah? LMD: I love this question! 100% Sarah is our Jode boot. Her style is timeless, and she is refined, dignified and stunning. But like the Jode boot that sports the unexpected tassel, she is witty, smart and no one makes me laugh harder – the girl’s got it all! I am our Little B boot which is bright red with a really fun, oversized tassel and vintage arrows on the ear pulls. I love color, live for the next party but am romantic, sentimental and covet tradition. SAM: Lizzie is our Margretta boot. The boot boasts jumping stars, not shooting, to symbolize optimism- Lizzie is always optimistic, friendly and open, she’s so gorgeous inside and out, and a the girl loves a little metallic! I think I’m our Jackie shorty in black and black stingray…I like to be a little under the radar and downtown but with unexpected special details
Q: What are the best and worst parts about being small business owners? LMD: Worst: It’s hard to turn off. Best: We LOVE what we are doing, are super excited about what is to come and have the BEST team. SAM: Worst: budgets. Best: we have the greatest customers!
Q: Because Sally and I get asked this a lot: how do you like being both sisters and business partners? LMD: I think one of the nicest parts about being business partners is the comfort and security I have working with Sarah. She is even-keeled, dependable, resourceful, thorough and silly smart. I think one of the difficulties we’re learning to work through is how to be social with each other again. We’ll sit down to coffee and inevitably the conversation turns to the business. We need to remember how we like to talk about clothes and boys! 😉 SAM: Doing this with Lizzie is honestly my very favorite part. Our policy is a really open and honest communication line. We communicate constantly and do not let things fester. Also, early on, we realized we needed to delineate our tasks. Luckily, we have very different strengths and interests, so we don’t step on one another’s toes too much…unless it’s a debate about color! She hates grey — kills me!
Q: What experiences from your past careers help you today with Miron Crosby SAM: My fashion background is in wholesale sales for a contemporary shoe and handbag company, Loeffler Randall, which is an exemplary company with such incredible people there. When I worked there, I had no idea we would one day be doing this, but observing Jessie and Brian and their team taught me so much. They have gotten to be so big and successful, it’s encouraging to remember that they started somewhere too, with a dream and a great partnership.
Q: What has been your biggest challenge and biggest celebration? LMD: Today, where we sit right now, I think a challenge we’re facing is how to tap into other markets and gain national exposure. Navigating influencer platforms, promoting MC online and refining our social media is our focus, but it’s unchartered waters for Sarah and me. We’re learning a ton!
Q: Aside from the upcoming Fall/Winter collection (which I’m sure will knock everyone’s socks off) and all the great brand partnership pop-ups you all have been hosting in store, are there any exciting future plans for Miron Crosby you all can share with us? LMD: We’re in talks to do a collaboration with a national fashion house we’ve long admired. We are super flattered and truly humbled! More to come!
Do you know what day it is? Black Friday. Le duh. I don't think I need to say much about this post other than that the list is HUGE. I tried to section it out - small businesses first, followed by the big retailers and brands, followed by home, beauty, and photo + paper. Most of the sales extend through Monday! You're welcome? (read on to get the sales + steals)
C. FAVORITE INSTAGRAM // @vraiandoro (This is probably the only thing I’ll be getting myself during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday madness…each year for Black Friday, Vrai & Oro creates an exclusive design (available only for three days), offered at the best price possible that speaks to something larger than ourselves. This year the design is the Link Necklace. Not only do I LOVE the simple chain on chain design, but I really love what the piece stands for. Inspired by the connection we each have as humans– the most basic foundation of our being – the Link Necklace is meant to be worn as a physical reminder of our need for human connection. Love that this pretty piece is meant to encourage us to reach across the aisle, open up conversation and connect about how we can create impactful change in our communities. To help strengthen the conversation, Vrai & Oro will be writing a letter to congress for each necklace purchased, supporting one of five key issues they believe in and stand behind as a team (Education Equity, LGBTQ Equality, Gender Rights Issues, Immigrants’ Rights, and Freedom of Speech & Government Transparency)
TRUFFLE: 25% off your purchase and free shipping with code GREATGIFTS – ends 11/27
Waiting on Martha: 10% off sitewide with no minimum with code THANKS10, 15% off orders of $50-99 with code THANKS15, 20% off orders of $100-249 with code THANKS20, 25% off orders of $250-349 with code THANKS25, and 30% off orders of $350+ with code THANKS30