Author: Molly Miller (Left)
Location: Houston, TX
A little bit: Owner of white lab puppy blue moonbeam, Molly's primary job is running the blog and keeping up with her collection of white shirts. She tends to be the more tomboy + edgy sister and she's crazy about pizza and ripped jeans.
Toast: Butter + Strawberry jelly, or avocado + red pepper
Author: Sally Miller Walker (Right)
Location: Dallas, TX
A little bit: Sally's passion and career is as an early childhood education teacher. she has a weakness for gluten-free sweets and shopping on line and plays more with pinks, pattern, and color than Molly. Currently listening to: vampire weekend.
Toast: Butter + Cinnamon + Sugar, or peanut butter
I mentioned last week that I was finally feeling the need to invest in a few maternity tops as most of the tops I was getting away with wearing are becoming too short. Truly, what I am waiting for, is weather warm enough to live in my favorite sleeveless tops and dresses from Mi Golondrina that I know will fit my bump until the veryyy end. In the meantime, I've found some pretty great transitional tops to get me through the back and forth weather that is Dallas at the moment. This gingham number from Topshop has been one of my absolute favorite (and the most worn!) maternity tops that I've bought.
Gingham is definitely having a moment this season, yet its also such a classic and timeless print, so I knew that this guy was going to be a good buy. I will be able to wear it even when I’m not pregnant and for future pregnancies as the print will never go out of style. Lately, I’ve been tucking this top in, but as time goes on and I fill it out more, I’ll probably go untucked;) I also think it would be pretty cute with jean shorts when the weather warms up – and lets be real, once I coat my legs in some sunless tanner.
After having a 24 hour stomach bug all day Wednesday coupled with a fever, I feel like I am just now recovering. There is nothing worse than getting sick, but doing so while being pregnant was pretty nerve wracking - constant worry about the baby, etc. SO happy to be on the mend and that I didn't pass it along to anyone else - apparently this thing is going around in Dallas. Yuck. In other, better news, lots of good sales this week including Shopbop's big sale that is not to be missed! (read on to get the sales + steals)
This + That:
A.FAVORITE READ // Bijou Karman’s Art via Honestly WTF (I love learning about new artists and this profile HWTF did on Bijou has me now totally in love with her portrait pieces!)
Gap: 40% off your purchase with code FORYOU. (The white version of this was made to be worn with a pair of blue jeans! I’ve been living in button downs during this in between weather, so I decided to order this and size up.)
H&M: Free shipping over $40 with code 0040. (This is so good.)
Hatch: End of season sale! 50% off. (An elastic waist band sounds more and more pleasing as time goes on – these manage to look quite chic, too!)
J.Crew: In stores and online – 20% off your purchase with code SHOPFAST. (So many good new arrivals. This is adorable in both color ways. Also love this.)
J.Crew Factory: Online only – up to 50% off 355 new arrivals. (A great spring dress at an even better price! These pajamas are beyond perfect.)
LOFT: In stores and online – 40% off everything with code NEWNOW. (This looks almost Gucci – esque. These and these PJs!!! This could be one of the cutest off the shoulder tops I’ve seen in awhile.)
Shopbop: Buy more, save more! 15% off orders of $200+, 20% off orders of $500+, 25% off orders of $800+ with code GOBIG17. (I ordered this dress in hopes that I can wear it up until baby comes and afterwards. Fingers crossed that it fits! This is so pretty in the tan color. These are a really good price for a pair of denim! And really, aren’t these earrings just too fun to pass up?!)
Dallas is kind of famous for its yo-yo temperatures. It can be 80 degrees one day then in the 40s the next. Poor us, right? I know people get so sick of hearing us Dallas dwellers complain (my brother is constantly reminding us how good we have it compared to the frigid weather he has in Chicago) but the up and down is just kind of weird to live with.
Anyway, the point of this post is that the temperature swings mean that I'm still in layering mode and this long cardigan is my go-to. You might remember me styling it back in December via this post. I'm happy to say that it's been one of the best purchases I made of the winter season. It's great over long sleeves (wore it this way while visiting Chicago last weekend) but equally perfect with a silk tank as you see here...
As I am writing this post, my husband and I are currently test driving our brand spanking new Belly Buds. We've loved playing music for the baby ever since we passed the 20 week mark when their hearing is fully developed. At 30 weeks, a baby's memories start to form and it is said that they can recognize voices or songs they heard in the womb when they hear them again after birth. So amazing, right? I'm certain that he has become quite fond of our dogs barking as well. The Belly Buds are made special so that you can attach them to your belly and music directly to your womb. As I was typing this post, my phone which is hooked up to the buds actually died and as soon as it did the baby starting moving a ton - I can't help but think he was asking for more music. I will report back on these more once we use them on the regular! (read on for all the vibes...)
1. WANTING // COREY LYNN CALTER: It seems that our weather in Dallas is consistently staying fairly warm, which may mean that Spring is here to stay. I’m finding that as time goes on in pregnancy, dresses become more and more appealing for both their comfort and ease. I’ve never been a “tight” fitting dress gal, so luckily a good amount of what I have will work. I’m also loving just about everything that Corey Lynn Calter has to offer in the dress department for spring. Many of which could work with a bump and beyond. How adorable is this style and color combo? So easy, yet put together. Also loving this, this, and this. Really, I kind of love them all. Can you blame me?
2. LISTENING // TED TALKS: I’m always looking for podcasts and the like the listen to at the gym while doing cardio, so I was pretty excited to come across TED Talks, 10 Talks for When You’re Expecting a Child. They will be perfect for my next trip to the gym!
3. LUSTING // ULLA SLIDES: I own one pair of Birkenstocks that I actually bought the summer before my senior year of college (6+ years ago) while studying abroad in Italy. Birkenstocks are all over the place in Europe so of course my friends and I had to jump on the bandwagon and each brought a pair home as a souvenir. Since then, I have yet to buy a second pair even though they still seem to very much be “on trend” as well as quite practical. I personally cannot stop thinking about this glorified “Birkenstock” by Ulla Johnson (who can do no wrong in my book). The comfortable cork slide features a knotted suede bow that comes in a pale “rose” color or black. The “rose” pair is practically screaming my name and would definitely fill a void in my closet. I also think they seem pretty practical for my pregnant feet that seem to hate being shoved into most of my shoes these days. The color is the perfect pink that can act as a neutral and go with pretty much everything from jean shorts to dresses.
4. PLAY PREPPING // FINN + EMMA GYM: Babies love play gyms, but lets be honest, most of them can be quite an eyesore. They also often come attached to a mat so if any sort of spit up or accident happens to the mat, it could be out of commission while getting a good deep cleaning. Finn + Emma’splay gyms are amazing on a number of levels. First of all, in terms of function, they can be moved and placed easily on any sort of blanket or soft surface making them much more user friendly and easier to store or place against a wall when not in use. Aside from that, its clear to see that these play gyms are beyond aesthetically pleasing with their wood frames and darling wood and knit dolls dangling from sweet colored ribbons. Even better, all Finn + Emma products are created with 100% organic cotton, all natural wood, and eco friendly dyes making them as safe as they can possibly be for your little one who will surely be putting the little dolls in their curious mouths. If you already have a play gym in your arsenal, their toys and stroller sets are equally as adorable! Definitely going to order these friends for our car seat.
5. TABLE SETTING // CHILEWICH: My husband and I only own one set of place mats that were a wedding gift from a sweet friend and have already gotten lots of love. However, the set is pretty summery and I am thinking that we need something a little more year-round next. My friend Michaela who lives in NYC is a big fan of Chilewichplacemats and has the best taste of anyone I know. In interiors, decor, clothing, you name it. So of course, I had to consult her on her love for Chilewich. After our discussion, I’m still deciding which I want to purchase first, but am leaning towards these. All of our china is white so we could pretty much go with anything. Thinking these napkins would look quite nice to add to the table, too!
6. READING // NON-TOXIC BEAUTY: Into the Gloss is my go to place to read up on beauty products or search for something specific that I am wanting to invest in or learn more about. One of the latest write-ups on the site is a feature on non-toxic beauty products. It had been awhile since ITG posted on this topic, so I was pretty excited to see something more updated and current! I particularly like this write up because it is written by someone who considered themselves to be a true skeptic when it came to “natural” beauty, which makes her findings seem that much more genuine. As if the products truly caught her by surprise in how well they worked. Lately my skin has been so dry and I am convinced that I need to change up my cleanser, so of course I am now intrigued by the Aurelia Miracle Cleanser. I’ve been obsessed with every Aurelia product that I’ve tried thus far (I use this 3x a week), so I’m pretty certain I will love this one just as much.
7. LOVING // MK x MOTHER: fell in love with Mother denim after purchasing this pair last spring. They are by far the softest pair of jeans I own making them the most comfortable, too. Miranda Kerr recently worked on a collaboration with the denim company, which has me already planning my first non-maternity denim purchase come this summer. The 12 piece capsule collection benefits Sydney’s The Royal Hospital for Women Foundation – a hospital that provides support for women and assistance for mothers and their babies. Kerr focused on positivity and uplifting messages when creating the collection and each piece has a hand written note in it to add a more personal touch. The collection favors lighter, more worn in washes and high rises which she prefers to wear in her day to day life. This pair might be my favorite – doesn’t it just look soft and comfortable?
In case you missed it, a few weeks ago the Groundhog saw his shadow - which of course means six more weeks of winter for both him and us. The good news? We only have a little over 2 weeks left of the "winter weather." But let's be honest, spring just can't come soon enough. I for one am absolutely craving a warm-weather getaway...ideally something tropical and luxurious that involves sand, ocean water, and a true vacation vibe.
If you're nodding your head and also envisioning a similar situation, we're all in luck! Some incredible brand have partnered together to give one winner the ultimate winter escape to St. Barth's! The trip is almost too good to be true...a Caribbean trip for two complete with a 3 night stay at St. Barth's Le Guanahani, 2 roundtrip tickets from San Juan to St. Barth on Tradewind Aviation, and over $3,000 in prizes from Frances Valentine, Whit NY, and SteamLine Luggage. On top of all that goodness, the winner will also get a 1 year subscription of AFAR Magazine - a most ideal way to satiate and inspire more travel wanderlust.
I've already mentally packed my bags and am crossing all my fingers in hopes that I win. And if I don't win, I would love for one of you sweet A Piece of Toast readers to be the ones to escape! Enter now with your email address - you have nine days to do so - and get as many as 21 extra entries by following the social media accounts of all the fantastic brands and companies participating. Easy peasy! (read more for additional details and info!)